Threat / end user issue
Incoming direct fire poses a threat to the vehicle and, when manned, to its crew. Traditional acoustic systems to detect and localize incoming Small Arms Fire do not work when the vehicle is driving, which is in essence the key to survive on the battlefield in the first place.
The lack of situational awareness affects the decision making on the vehicle either to attack or leave the theatre.
The ACLOGUS (ACoustic LOcalisation of GUnShots) firmware hosted on the CASTLE is the first of a growing suite of sheer firmware defined capabilities. ACLOGUS detects and localizes (notably) incoming Small Arm Fire, also when the vehicle is driving. Above all, ACLOGUS provides information on where to look or where to cue a Remote Weapon Station or board camera.
ACLOGUS is also able to localize the origin of rounds up to a miss distance of around 200 meters. Thus, an Acoustic Umbrella of around 400 m diameter is created where dismounted soldiers, or other vehicles, may benefit from the very single CASTLE loaded with ACLOGUS firmware being present.
- All weather, day and night
- Low size, weight and power
- Passive system
- Requires no line of sight
- Detecting and localizing small arms fire up to 1800 m
- Easy BMS/C2 integration
- Operational when the vehicle is driving
- Capable of separating vehicle induced noise from external, hostile, sound sources
- Robustness against acoustic shadows and acoustic reflections caused by the vehicle deck
- Capable of cueing remote weapon stations and cameras
- Easy integration on various vehicle platforms, e.g. UGV’s, IFV’s, light tactical vehicles and APC’s
How does it work
The four AMMSs in the CASTLE enable advanced signal processing algorithms that do not only distinguish platform induced noise from external audible events, but also take into account the “acoustic shadows” or acoustic reflections created on a vehicle deck that is not flat.
By capturing the incoming shockwave signal, a shockwave warning is given with an angular accuracy of typically 120 degrees.
The very instant that also the corresponding muzzle blast noise arrives at the CASTLE sensor node, the angle is reduced down to 2 degrees and the range is given with 10 % accuracy.
The time stamped localization is displayed as a dot on the map. When desired, ACLOGUS can be connected to a 3rd party BMS/C2.
Product set up
- On the outside
- On the inside
- 4 AMMS - sensor nodes per CASTLE
- Weather station
- Georeferencing device (GNSS)
- MANET radio (optional)
- Acoustic Master – computing device
- Ruggedized laptop (if required)